Sunday, May 6, 2012

DIY: Cut Out Shirt

Hey lovelies,

Today I'll bring you a post about a little project I had a couple of weeks ago. If you don't know already, I really love the make my own clothing as much as possible, because that's the only way to really have unique clothing, and therefore, unique style. I've maybe mentioned it on the style blog, but I hate to pay big prices for items that every other girl on the street will wear that season. That's why I've learned to sew in early age, and try to learn new things every year.

Unfortunately the past year has been very busy and all, so I haven't got to do as many projects I would've loved to. I have, however, stored loads of fabrics in our closet for the time I can actually just focus on the stuff I really love. And within a week, I can start doing projects one by one, and hopefully get to post here more often as well. ;)

But anyway, back to the post itself.

You know the cut out trend that seems still to be around? Well, I've looked in one store after another, looking for the perfect shirt, but never quite found one. Not that there weren't beautiful ones, but I don't want to wear the same piece everyone else has.

So one day, I was going through my enormous pile of fabrics, and found the same neon green fabric I had used for my lace skirt (seen here and here). I saw there was easily enough fabric for a shirt, and realized it would make a nice cut out shirt.

So I dug out my Burda patterns and started out the fun.

How to create your own cut out shirt?

If you like to sew, like I do, start from the beginning. If you don't, scroll down to step 4. (Then you'll need a long-sleeved shirt you dare to cut.)

DSC02677

1. Start out by choosing a pattern you want to use for the shirt. I used 7742 from Burda Young, which is my go-to pattern for nearly any shirts. Cut the necessary pieces from the fabric as instructed.

Photobucket

2. Follow the instructions included with your pattern. It probably goes the way I've done it, though. So start out by taking the back and front pieces of the shirt, and place the pieces outsides against each other. Pin the shoulders together, and make the shoulder seams. Turn the edges of the neckline to make a neat finished look.

Photobucket

It should look somewhat like this.

Photobucket

2. Take the sleeves, and fit them to the correct places. The easiest way to have neat seams is to start the pinning from the edges, and work your way towards the center. You may have to create folds to make the sleeve fit in nicely. Make the seams, and remove the pins.

Photobucket

At this point, your shirt should look like this.

Photobucket

3. Sew the side seams, and tidy up the ends of the sleeves and the hem by turning the edges and sewing them neatly.

Photobucket

4. Decide the size of the cut outs. They don't have to be similar on each side, so you can just be as creative as you may. Cut them out a little smaller than you want them to be, then turn the edges as you did with the sleeves, and sew them in place.

Photobucket

It should look like this when you're done. Now you can put it on and wear it. (You may notice my shirt doesn't have finished hem in the picture, that's because I realized it only after taking the photo... Oops.) I think I'll be editing the ends of the sleeves later on, but when I do, I try to remember to update this post. :)

This was super easy to do, and I strongly encourage anyone with a little patience to try this out. Maybe you have an old shirt in your closet that needs a little something? Well, this might actually be the easiest thing to do with it. ;)

If I can do this, so can you. :) Just be creative ♥

xoxo 

Johanna

9 comments:

  1. I loved so much, very nice
    agoratopronta.blogspot.com
    Beijos Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you studied anything related to clothing industry? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I've taught myself through a couple of books and videos from web - honestly I think anyone can learn to make decent clothes just by thinking a little while doing. It's not that hard to make a basic pattern into a special and/or unique one. ;)

      Delete
    2. yep. Books and stuff is good way learn to DIY but they don't mention essential things, because only what home dressmaker do ''right'' is sewing order.. if it's right to say ''sewing order'' :D

      Delete
    3. True, they often leave out for example the necessity of lining when dealing with light fabrics, and the fact that you get way better seams when you do them with overlocker instead of a basic sewing machine. Along with many things that you can maybe not learn as well on your own. That's why I use mostly patterns by Burda, because they are quite high quality for a "Sunday sewer" like myself. :D But I understand your concern, hun, as you do study the subject in question ;)

      Delete
    4. well, yea that is true too.. but mostly i mean that never ever sew basic sewing machine this kind of fabric what you have in this post, never :D and there's something what you have to put your shoulder seam in connection with sewing. There's the only thing what i am concerned about is: work after studing :( and best high quality you get when you do it yourself your patterns ;) it takes time alot but worth it!

      Delete
    5. Hehe, I know, professionally speaking that's a huge mistake. (Mom has told me that as well) :D It's too stretchy and all that. I didn't have my overlock sewing machine at hand the time I did this, so... But as you very well know, I'm not a professional, and none of my readers assume I am ;) As for the pattern-making, I wish I actually had the time to learn that properly on a course, but because I have to both work and study more or less full-time, it doesn't leave any time (or moreover, energy) for that. So I have to have the second best option It would be actually very nice to see things you've made in your blog or something, you know, as you know how to make your patterns and all. :) I bet I'm not the only one who'd like to read/see that :)

      Delete
    6. haha, there's so huge difference between my very first jeans (well, naturally.. but it's so huge difference XD) what i did the first year at the school and trousers or summer jacket what i made couple months ago :D but yeap, it could be interesting to do post where i show some stuff from first year, maybe i will do that some day :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment for me. I always read every single one of them, and appreciate all them equally, even though I might not answer to every one individually. :) Your lovely comments always make my day, and I love to hear what you're thinking. I try to have the time to check out your blogs, and maybe comment back. :)

You can comment in following languages (as these are the ones I understand):
English, Swedish, Finnish, Spanish, German

xoxo ♥